S/tr:w/EET WALK: A travelogue thru an American unconscious and some Cities of its Civil War
DVD Video; Copyright © 2009 Lili White
Sound; Color; Length: 18.53 minutes
It takes all that raw animal power and forces it to wear so many binding pieces of leather and pull a conveyance around, mostly for amusement. How civilization takes us away from the witches’ hill, from the darkness of caves and enslaves us to seemingly safety-providing collections of high-rise fortresses where not only our life is relegated to something less but our very birthright of being erotic is repressed so that the only thing that can grow is a pornographic plant – a poor substitute at best, a weed at worst.”
My film connects directly to actual events.
Ireland, where many Southerners came from, is the root for many Americans.
After getting the shoes by chance, I was scheduled to go South, whose past still carries relevance today: slavery, the Civil War, the fight for Civil Rights, and now our first President of color.
Moving between diverse landscapes, seemingly haphazard facts disclose historic and mythic connections and connect tangentially. My story of being trailed by a prostitute when visiting Ireland, attributes belonging to the goddess Hecate, and traces of artists of Irish descendent (Flannery O’Connor / Augustus St. Gaudens) were found by chance during this journey with the shoes.
myth and its Cinderella fairy tale there is a world where women have the power and God is a woman.
Public monuments regarding slavery and General Sherman impart the patriarchy asserting power. Although the South’s slave trade was abolished; today’s global sex trade may be interrogated as modern slavery via feminist texts.
The form of America’s symbol of freedom, the Statue of Liberty, has an ancient twin, Hecate; the witch, crone Goddess, who led led another Goddess who is ascribed with re-birth, out of the Underworld…
Lady Liberty leads our nation to…?
Written, Produced and Directed by Lili White
Featuring Rebecca Louise Tiernan as THE STATUE of LIBERTY and/or HECATE
Joel Haberli, David Finkelstein, Bryan Wells, Shellita, Eileen White, Rashita Bryant, Joanna Hartell, Lili White
- Shoes Found by Kathryn Maguire; Dublin, Ireland 2009
- The FOGGY DEW (National Anthem) by Peadar Kearney
- Knowth archelogical site
& Howth’s Head (circa 1998); Ireland
- FAIR, BROWN & TREMBLING (the Irish Cinderella story) collected by John D. Batten in CELTIC FAIRY TALES published 1892
- The Collective Unconscious: C. G. Jung
MEMORIAL SCULPTURE – USA:
- LIBERTY LIGHTING THE WORLD: Fredric Auguste Bartholdi & Maurice Koechlin and Eugene Violletle-Duc
- WILLIAM TECUMSEH SHERMAN sculptor: Augustus Saint-Gaudens with Robert Treat Paine
at Manhattan’s Grand Army Plaza, 5th Avenue & 59th Street NY
LOCATIONS in AMERICA’s SOUTH —
Special thanks to DAY CLEAN JOURNEY TOURS:
- SLAVERY MONUMENT:
sculptor: Dorothy Spradley;
ITS INSCRIPTED POEM: Maya Angelou
- Factor’s Walk (slave trader’s row); SAVANNAH, GEORGIA
- The Flannery O’Conner House
- NY TIMES:7/24/09: WELL-BEHAVED STREET CORNER SCULPTURE – Ken Johnson on the Goddess, HECATE: Theogony of Hesiod – ll. 404-452 & other sources
- USES OF THE EROTIC: THE EROTIC AS POWER – Audre Lord
- WHO IS YOUR MOTHER? RED ROOTS OF WHITE FEMINISM – Paula Gunn Allen
- “Life leads the thoughtful man” – I CHING #13
- “…for we walk…” – St. Paul: 2 Corinthians 5:7
- “…the high soul burns on to light men’s feet…” – inscription on SHAW MEMORIAL
- “Hazel Motes…” from WISE BLOOD – Flannery O’Connor
- GEORGIA ON MY MIND: Stuart Gorrell & Hoagy Carmichael
- excerpt from LEGGY REDHEAD by Rebecca Louise Tiernan
- Homage to 8 1/2 – Frederico Fellini; with Eddra Gale as La Saraghina